Titus Mačković had luck to live in Subotica in the period of great prosperity of the town lacking builders. Thanks to that fact, Mačković was given numerous opportunities to win credits by accomplishing great variety of tasks offered. About four hundred designs bearing his signature have been preserved in the Historical Archives in Subotica in evidence of his valuable contribution to the construction of the town. He designed houses, mansions, summer houses, ancillary structures, barracks, schools, factories, slaughterhouses etc.
Titus was born on 20th July 1851. Thanks to the fact that he had been appointed town chief engineer twice in the period from July 1st 1878 to December 31st 1879 and again from July 1st 1884 to October 31st 1890, the civil servants recorded in their register his certificate on the exams passed at the School of Arts in Vienna and Zurich. Although he had never fully accomplished his study, he became one of the most important builders originated and worked in Subotica. Titus Mačković, an architect without a degree, a town engineer, brick-yard owner, chairman of a constructors association, student and traveler, respected citizen, was a person of many interests and skills.
He designed his first Art Nouveau structure in 1899, it was three-storey rental building at no. 13 Age Mamužić Street, ordered by Lajos Fazekas, also architect, which were himself frequently engaged with designing buildings but smaller in size, mainly ground floor buildings.
After having finished this rental building he was less active but still designed three more apartment houses in Art Nouveau style and numerous ground floor houses. In later years of his life he produced some more designs which deserve attention. The Belgian enterprise “Compagnie de Services Urbain – Bruxeles” which was a major share holder of the tram service and power supply facilities in Subotica from the beginning of the century till the year 1924, engaged him in designing their administration building in Subotica. He was given an opportunity to try the new, modern forms abounding in the most beautiful and rich floral elements being developed within the Art Nouveau in the part of Europe the enterprise came from. The result of his efforts was a two-story building, simple and functional. The building had four facades of simple wall surfaces. This detached building was quite “modern” derived directly or indirectly from the cubic forms that had been applied in Darmstadt Art Nouveau architecture.
After very rich career Titus Mačković died in 1919.