Marcell Komor was born in Pest (today part of Budapest) on November 7, 1868, as Mark Kohn. His father, Rabbi Salomon Kohn, died in 1886. Marcell's eldest brother Isidor changed his surname to Komor in or before 1885. Marcell graduated from the Technical University of Budapest in 1891 and went to work in the office of Alajos Hauszmann. Afterwards he worked for Ödön Lechner and was involved in the design of both the Geological Institute and the Museum of Applied Arts in Budapest. It was in Lechner’s office that he produced his first award-winning work, the design of a hotel for the town of Szentes in 1896.
Around 1897 he started collaborating with Dezső Jakab. Their joint venture lasted until 1920 and was the most successful period of his career. “By virtue of their flexibility and innovative spirit their practice grew into one of the most prolific architectural offices of the period. They entered several competitions, designed many apartment houses and public buildings all over the territory of historic Hungary. In order to facilitate the widespread dispersion of the national architectural style, they very often talked their clients into accepting the new style (Várallyay Réka, Komor Marcell Jakab Dezső, Budapest: Holnap Kiadó, 2006, p 230.). Their most outstanding works are the public buildings designed in the Hungarian Secession style for cities experiencing spectacular development at the turn of the 19th to 20th century, such as the City Hall and Palace of Culture in Marosvásarhely (today Târgu Mureş in Romania), and the City Hall in Szabadka (today Subotica in Serbia).
In addition to his work as an architect, Marcell Komor was a journalist, and he founded the bi-weekly magazine Vállalkozók Lapja (Contractors' Sheet), where he often published articles about “modern” architecture and the role of Ödön Lechner in Hungarian architecture.
Marcell Komor was a victim of the Holocaust in 1944.
Várallyay Réka, Komor Marcell Jakab Dezső, Budapest: Holnap Kiadó, 2006.