Zsolnay ceramics manufactory Pécs
The golden age of the Zsolnay factory came at the end of the 19th century and the beginning of the 20th, coinciding with a time of prosperity in Hungary and the surrounding Austro-Hungarian monarchy. In the middle of 19th century, a thriving economy in Central Europe was accompanied by widespread construction, for which bricks proved to be the most appropriate material, and new production technology resulted in bricks of better quality and greater quantity.
The list of Subotica (Szabadka) houses using Zsolnay ceramics as the primary element of decoration is a long one, requiring continuous and thorough research. The spirit of Zsolnay's work continues to define the city's identity and is still present today on both the interior and exterior of buildings, an integral part of everyday life in the town of Subotica.
Pyrogranite, the new and improved version of terracotta produced by the Zsolnay factory in Pécs, had already been used at the time of building the synagogue in Subotica, to decorate several buildings, not only in Budapest, but also in other Hungarian cities.
Miklós Zsolnay, the owner of the Zsolnay factory visited himself Subotica and nearby resort complex at Lake Palić, where he presented a pair of 5-foot ceramic vases, which are still there today, as a gift to the Park of Palić.
Éva Csenkey and Ágota Steinert, Hungarian Ceramics from the Zsolnay Manufactory 1853 – 2001, New York: The Bard Graduate Center for Studies in the Decorative Arts, Design and Culture, 2002.