HOME ARCHITECTURE ART ART NOUVEAU INSPIRATION ABOUT PROJECT CONTACTS
jakab dezso.JPG
Jakab Dezső
komor marcell.JPG
Komor Marcell
raichl ferenc.jpg
Raichle J. Ferenc
vago jozsef.jpg
Vágó József
vago laszlo.jpg
Vágó László
partos gyula.jpg
Pártos Gyula
lechner odon.jpg
Ödön Lechner



The first truly Art Nouveau buildings in Subotica date from 1899, when the two ground floor houses in Vase Stajića Street (11 and 13) designed by Ferenc Raichl (demolished in 2010) and a three story apartment house designed by Titus Mačković was constructed in this style. During the coming decade several more outstanding Art Nouveau masterpieces and more than 100 other Art Nouveau buildings were erected in the town. The Subotica Art Nouveau Style does not display characteristic local features, but it is rather a mixture of different European influences employed by the different Subotica nationalities, identifying themselves with different cultural and political movements. Therefore, in Subotica one can find architectural heritage influenced by the Vienna Secession, the München Jugendstil, the Darmstadt Secession, Hungarian folk art and the Belgian Art Nouveau.

One of the most significant buildings in the town is the Synagogue, built according to the plans of the prominent Hungarian architects Marcell Komor and Dezső Jakab, in 1902. It is not only the colourful ornaments in Hungarian national style but also the unique concrete structure of the building, which provide the outstanding value of the Synagogue.

Ferenc Raichl designed two palaces in 1903, one for renting purposes the other as his own home. The first design was rejected by the authorities, which gave him stimulus for creating dream like palaces applying Hungarian folk art decorative elements. He devoted a special attention to his own home, the Raichl Palace, which due to the curved glazed pyrogranite elements manufactured in the famous Zsolnay factory in Pécs, blue glass mosaics, green wooden bay windows and stained glass windows became a uniquely spectacular building. These first buildings were followed by other great masterpieces. The Brothers József and László Vágó, architects from Budapest, designed a remarkable Art Nouveau palace for Miksa Dömötör, a local general physician. The decorative motifs and materials employed on the building of the commercial bank from 1907, designed by Marcell Komor and Dezső Jakab, connect this building also to the newly born art tradition in Hungary.
Marcell Komor and Dezső Jakab were present in the town again in 1907, with a Baroque style design submitted to the competition opened for the designs of the town hall. Being awarded the first prize encouraged them to offer another design in Art Nouveau style instead of their winning design. As a result one of the most remarkable town halls of the time and the most important Subotica landmark was built.

Károly Biró, the Mayor of Subotica, apart from supporting the construction of the Town Hall, also threw his weight behind the improvement of the spa and the bathing beach at Lake Palić, near Subotica. Komor and Jakab designed the three most significant buildings on the promenade, the Female Bathhouse, the Water Tower and the Grand Terrace. The focus here was on the structural use of timber which was more suitable for these type of buildings intended for leisure, with application of Hungarian folk art motifs.


Town Hall Subotica

Competition for the design of a new city hall in Subotica 1907
















bbbbbbbbb IMPRESSUM TERMS OF USE bbbbbbbbb bbbbbbbbb bbbbbbbbb FACEBOOK VISIT SUBOTICA