Subotica (Szabadka) is situated in the north of Vojvodina, Serbia, several kilometers South of Hungarian border. During 18th century it belonged to the Habsburg Monarchy. When Subotica acquired the status of the free royal town in 1779, it was named after the Habsburg queen: Maria Theresiopolis. At that time it was still a village looking settlement. After the Compromise of 1867, when Austro-Hungarian Empire was formed, Subotica took part in the intensive development of Hungary. The most important moment in the development of the town was the arrival of the railway line in 1869. The growth of trade and possibility of cheap transport allowed very intensive development of the town. Residential and rental houses in different historic styles were built in the most important streets of the town, and among them also the Art Nouveau buildings.
Some of the most important Art Nouveau buildings were built in Subotica in the early 20th century, like Synagogue, Town hall, Raichl palace, bank buildings and many others and also on the shore of the lake and spa Palić near Subotica: Water tower, Female bath-house, Great Terrace and Conen villa. The development of the town at the turn of the century brought the influences of different local European Art Nouveau styles to the provincial town of Subotica: Hungarian Secession, Vienna Secession, German Jugendstil and French Art Nouveau, thus promoting the town’s multicultural spirit in creating a cosmopolitan atmosphere which is still present today.